Monday 5 September 2016

"Be Seeing You" (The Prisoner)

"I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

I learned on the news that today was the 50th annyversary of The Prisoner, the cult tv series and brainchild of actor Patrick McGoohan. When he died, back in 2009, I blogged about him and my love of the series, which is one of my favourite and which I discovered in reruns when I was a teenager. I guess it was to be expected, that I made this kind of discovery at this time of my life, alongside A Clockwork Orange and other tales about the struggle between freedom and aggressive conformity. Knowing it is fifty years old and still fresh after half a century, it makes me want to rediscover it. Until then, here is the opening sequence, which gives you everything you need to know about the setting, the tone and its relevance:

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

50 years, eh? I watched The Prisoner on CBC when it was originally broadcast. LOVE IT! And this is the 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek, which I also remember watching as a kid. That's what I get for being old.

Guillaume said...

It was a great TV time period. And The Prisoner was the greatest of them all.