Wednesday 21 June 2017

Summer starts, summer ends

I know my readers have heard this confession before, but I must say it here: since my professional life is not based on the school year, I don't like summer much. Too hot, too sweaty, too sticky, too uncomfortable and, worst of all, the nights are far too short and thus I sleep too little. Back when I was living with my parents, summer was idyllic: with the swimming pool most of the downsides of the season were alleviated. And I could just relax all day. Nowadays... Well, all this to say that today is the summer solstice. The official beginning of the summer, although let's be honest here, summer truly starts with June, not with the solstice. The solstice is in fact midsummer. I actually welcome midsummer. It is the longest day of the year, which means the days will gradually, slowly, imperceptibly for a good while, get shorter. So it is in a way the beginning of the end. And this, ironically, makes me appreciate summer more.