Friday 3 November 2017

The month of fireworks

I try to find virtues to the month of November, and I have to say that in England it has at least one: it is the month of fireworks, because of Bonfire Night. Or Guy Fawkes Night as it is often called. Not that I am a big fan of fireworks, or of Guy Fawkes (frankly I always felt very foreign to it) but it does give a bit of colour and excitement to an otherwise grey looking time of year. And, while the big night is on the 5th of November, firework displays last the whole month and beyond. Strangely enough, I have not seen any so far, but I did smell yesterday smoke in the air. Fireworks have a number of downsides which I will try to blog about soon, but at least it makes November here... different.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

November definitely needs something to perk it up. It's soooooooo long and dreary. Winter has arrived here in Alberta now and it is snowy and bitchin' cold.